Depression is nothing but a simple mental illness created by ourselves for various reasons. Depression is a psychological mental defect created when you didn’t get what you wanted. A depressed person is one who is always thinking about the problem and not the solution. Everyone in world has problems and the one who has solutions to the problem is known to be a wiser.
We are getting depressed about simple things just because we are getting too lazy and don't have patience. We have made our life so luxuries in such a way that we have to switch on the fan without get up from the chair. So talking about depression, it has become a science. People have already written number of books on types of depressions and how they should be treated.
We all have come across the depression at some point in life and now we need to think of a solution. Do you think the solution is to go and meet a doctor and spending money on getting the best treatment for depression? No, you can be your own doctor in treating depression with an old medicine called Yoga. You heard it absolutely correct. There are some yoga poses for depression that make your life more positive and know the purpose of life! Move down to find the best yoga asanas and get rid of clinical, postpartum and manic depressions. It is also very important to use the best quality yoga mats to do all these yoga poses.
Top Yoga Poses for Depression:
Following are some of the best yoga asanas which help to get quick relief from depression.
It is also known as Matysasana pose. This pose is called the destroyer of all diseases.
- Lie on the back with spine straight. Arms and legs are extended out and relaxed.
- Lift the pelvis off the floor slightly as you slide your hands under the butt, palms down. Allow the butt to rest on the top of your hands
- Inhale and bend your elbows, pressing your forearms down to help lift the back upwards, raise the chest, head, shoulder off the floor.
- Drop your head back allowing the top of your head to rest on the floor. Your weight should remain on your elbows.
- Fish opener is a chest opener as it strengthens the scapular muscles and front body.
- Strengthens the spinal extensor muscles and anterior neck muscles. Improves lung capacity.
Note: Don't try this pose if you are pregnant or suffering from hernia, neck injury.
Kapalabhati (Skull-Cleansing Pranayama):
This is a great exercise for going, if you are feeling tired, just do the couple of rounds of Kapalabhati. In Kapalabhati, the exhalation is active and forceful, but the inhalation is passive and relaxed.
- Sit down in the lotus position, close your eyes and keep a deep breath in, using your abdominal muscles forcefully and rapidly spell your breath.
- Take a deep slow breath and exhale your breath forcefully. Do this for about 20-30 times in 2 cycles.
Benefits: Cleanse the lungs and nasal passage, mucus related extractions, releasing carbon dioxide and toxic wastes.
Viparita Karani Yoga Pose:
It is the ideal pose of athletes.
- Lie down on your back. Raise your legs straight up along with the back and the hands providing support at the hips.
- Hold in this position for 10-20 seconds and get back to the same position.
- Stimulates pancreas and uptake of insulin by cells of the body.
- Helps relax your spine and take away lactic acid from the thighs.
Setu Bandha Yoga:
- Place a mat on the floor and lay down on your back.
- Slowly bend your knees and get the feet close to your butt with hip width apart to put your feet on the mat.
- Get the palms aligned with the hips down.
- Lie in a supine position facing the ceiling with a stiff neck.
Benefits: It helps you to recover from mild depression, open sinuses and improves the digestive system. It strengthens the spine, chest and upper back.
- Come down to your knees with an upright chest.
- Start with the arms up about chest level. Now slowly reach back behind you and try to touch the arch of your foot.
- Do it with both hands simultaneously. Touch and arch of the foot for 20 times.
- Best to control depression, anxiety and fatigue.
- Controls menstrual discomfort in women.
- Improves blood circulation and relieves back pain.
- Keeping the toes together and heels raised, sit on your heels wide apart.
- The entire body should be balanced on your heels. Place both the hands on the knees.
- Press the chin to chest and open your mouth and extend the tongue out.
- Sit in this posture and roar loudly for a couple of times.
- Very helpful in getting out from depression very quickly.
- Cures the diseases of mouth, teeth, tongue, jaws and throat.
- Makes you fearless like a lion.
- Best for people with bad breath
- Reduces wrinkles on the face.
- Sit on your knees and slowly drop your palms. Keep the forearms parallel to each other and keep the elbows and shoulders apart.
- Flatten the palms on the floor. Now take a deep breath into the kidney
- Now slowly lift the hip upward and stay in this position for about 2-4 minutes. You can do the pose for about 2-4 cycles until you feel calm.
- Builds strength in arms and shoulders.
- Relieves depression and stimulates the nervous system.
- Improves blood flow to the face and head.
Watch the following video to get quick overview on how to get relief from depression with Yoga.
There are many more yoga poses, but the above-mentioned poses are said to be perfect to reduce depression and practicing it for few months can make you enlightened. Also contact a good yoga trainer before you start these poses. You need to take precautions in case you are suffering from other pains or disease.